Last week on TV they were celebrating "Donut Day", and all of a sudden I remembered something from my little girl days. I had not thought this in 40/50 years. I am not sure how old I was but, several times my grandpa "M", took me to town with him to deliver, I think eggs. This would have to have been during the Second World War. Grandpa had the first car in our area, grandma had inherited a few dollars from her family that had passed on. She bought grandpa the car, boy was he proud. I found this a real privilege to be invited to go, for grandpa rarely invited me to go along with him, maybe my brother but not me, he was a bit older and the first grand boy. I was the third granddaughter, the first two lived in Akron, Ohio, we were in the country and lived near to our grandparents. I can not remember many of the details as to why I was along, and/or whether I even got out of the car (a Ford Model A/T) being a girl I really did not know cars and really did not care.
Grandpa did his delivery/shopping, and then we stopped at a Donut Shop. I think I went with him two times and each time he did the same thing. He brought back an Eclair for me each time. Boy was that good, I still today like the Eclair the best of all donuts.
That reminded me of my grandma Jenny too! She hid sugar cookies in a five gallon can in her bedroom. You see during the war and shortly after, sugar was rationed so there was not many sweets for anyone. But I remember on a few occasions grandma would motion for me to follow her into her bedroom, no one was allowed to go in there. She would open the can lid and say take one, only one! OH that was a good cookie even though it had just a tad of sugar in it.
WELCOME
I welcome you to my blog, and I hope you find some inspiration from what I write, I welcome your comments. ENCLOSED IS AN E-MAIL FOR COMMENTS, ANYTHING YOU WANT TO SAY, POSITIVES AND NEGATIVES ARE WELCOMED.
E-Mail Address
Please e-mail me with your comments: jackgvl@aol.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment